Google

Friday, October 5, 2007

Nike Zoom BB

The Quick and the Dead


"Quick is Deadly" is the slogan used to describe Nike's latest guard oriented shoe.The Nike Zoom BB is a no frills straight up performance shoe.The kind of shoe I love but unfortunately I've been burned by that type of description in the past.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to the shoe.At first glance it looks like a glorified Nike Blazer but it is much more than that.Coming with a 6 mm full length Zoom Air unit to put you closer to the ground than ever before all inside of a light weight supportive package.Lets find out if the shoe is throwing 7 different kinds of smoke or just a flash in the pan.

figure1
Note the high cut of the shoe but also how the collar slopes allowing flexibility for the Achilles

My initial impression of the shoe was eh...After reading the description of the shoe it managed to make a blip on my radar of shoes that I HAVE to pick up.A guard oriented basketball shoe that puts emphasis on speed and performance is all the way down my neck of the woods.When you first pick up the shoe you ll notice how light it is.However putting the shoe on is when you will truly appreciate the shoe.A full length dynamic fit sleeve cradles your foot and offers a seamless fit while providing heat and moisture management.The shoe is also cut fairly high but slopes down for maximum lateral support and flexibility for active players with minimal restriction similar to the Jordan XXI.The interior is lined with soft dense padding for comfort and support.However near the top of the shoe is a set of 3 lace holes that are coated and causes discomfort when wearing no show socks and laced all the way to the top.I really don't wear no show socks when playing anymore but I picked up on the problem right away when trying on the shoe.I didn't have problems with fit.I thought I might be too wide for the shoe but did not experience any discomfort.The lacing system really pulls the shoe around your foot and provides a great fit.

figure2
note the TPU heel support and difference in height from the top of the collar to the bottom.

I thought ankle support might be an issue due to the minimal use of material used throughout the shoe.The designers thought it out well when deciding where to add materials for increased support to keep the overall design minimal.The injected TPU heel support adds stability and support.The cut of the shoe and the way it seems to provide a locked down feeling of a boot without being restrictive also adds to the excellent ankle support.Alot of times ankle support is sacrificed to reduce weight or add to flexibility but the Nike Zoom BB manages to keep a high level of ankle support without adding to the weight or taking away from the flexibility.

figure3
note the forefoot outrigger for stability and the simple profile of the shoe.

Cushioning comes from a 6mm full length zoom air unit.One of my biggest concerns with the shoe was that I would be too heavy for the shoe for it to properly support and cushion me during active play.The shoe performed very well and I would have said excellent except I came down awkwardly landing on my heel and I really felt that impact.I could attribute the discomfort to the awkward landing but I feel it isn't a stretch to say this shoe wasn't designed for the big guys in the paint.The zoom air is responsive and propels me into my next step during play.Court feel is right up there with the Zoom Kobe 2.I felt the shoe working with my foot rather than resisting it when making hard cuts or change of direction.While not Nike Free technology the minimal design allows the shoe to work like an extension of the wearer's foot.

figure4
note the modified herringbone pattern and forefoot pivot point

Traction was excellent on hardwood.With plenty of surface area and soft rubber compound to grip the floor.It also features a forefoot pivot point for maximum traction on those Tony Parker like spin moves in the lane.Performance on the dirty tile was also great.I had minimal slippage and didn't have any problems making any moves on the dirty floor.

figure5
note the perforated medial side for moisture and heat management

Overall the shoe is right up there for best performance shoe this year.It's biggest drawback is that it isn't made for everyone.While support is excellent,and cushioning is great it isn't enough for the big guys who pound the paint.Guards and slashers however should rejoice that their shoe has arrived.

Comfort and Fit-4/5
Cushioning-4/5
Ankle Support-4/5
Traction-4.5/5
Overall-4/5


While I loved the shoe,those who like to play in no show socks may experience discomfort from the coating used to protect the top 3 lace holes.Comfort and Fitness and Cushioning lost points from the awkward landing and that those liking their shoes cut a bit lower might find the shoe a tad restrictive.Otherwise if you're an active guard who like to attack the basket looking for a lightweight and supportive performance shoe,get out there quick and pick these up.